On 9th September, 2020, the Australian government has updated their list of persons who do not require to apply for an exemption to travel to Australia. Those persons who belong to one of the categories below are automatically exempt from the travel restrictions and can enter Australia (without obtaining an individual exemption). The update includes the addition of the Subclass 188 visa holder.
- an Australian citizen
- a permanent resident of Australia
- an immediate family member of an Australian citizen or permanent resident*
- a New Zealand citizen usually resident in Australia and their immediate family members
- a diplomat accredited to Australia (holding a subclass 995 visa)
- a traveller transiting Australia for 72 hours or less
- airline crew
- maritime crew including marine pilots
- recruited under the Government approved Seasonal Worker Program or Pacific Labour Scheme
- holder of a Business Innovation and Investment (subclass 188) visa
You need to carry evidence that you meet one of the above categories when travelling. Additional evidence may be requested.
Source: Department of Home Affairs