Who is Skilled Independent 189 Visa suitable for?
Skilled Independent 189 visa is suitable for applicants who can score high points in the Expression of Interest. It is also suitable only available to those applicants who have an occupation on the MLTSSL occupation list.
There are a few key benefits of a Skilled Independent 189 visa. Similarly to the 190 visa, this is a permanent resident (PR) visa. State nomination is not required, so the applicant can live and work anywhere in Australia.
189 Main Eligibility
- Requires invitation to apply for the visa
- Be less than 45 years old
- Has competent English
- Has at least 65 points for the Express Of Interest
- Nominates a skilled occupation
- Has a successful skills assessment
189 Main Conditions
- For offshore applicants, first entry must be made before the date specified by the Minister
189 Skilled Independent Visa Additional Information
|Stay||This is a permanent visa|
|Cost||AUD4,115 for primary applicant|
AUD2,055 for additional applicant over 18 years
AUD1,030 for additional applicant under 18 years
For the Points-tested stream, If applicant does not have at least Functional English, they are required to pay the second instalment charge as follows:
AUD4,885 for any applicant over 18
|Processing Time||Points tested stream|
75% of applications: 20 months
90% of applications: 31 months
New Zealand stream
75% of applications: 16 months
90% of applications: 18 months
You and your family members may be required to take a health examinations to meet the health requirement to show that you are free from any disease or condition that is:
- a significant healthcare and community service cost to the Australian community
- likely to limit the access of Australian citizens and permanent residents to healthcare and community services that are in short supply by placing demand on those services.
Your health examination will include the standard medical examination. Additional tests (such as TB Screen test, chest x-ray, and HIV test) will be required by different age groups. In some circumstances, you may be required to take additional tests such as: hepatitis B and C test, syphilis test, HIV test, and tests that address your specific health risks.
You must be of good character and pass the character test. There are a number of circumstances where you may not pass the character test. For example, if you have a substantial criminal record. A substantial criminal record means if you have been:
- sentenced to death or imprisonment for life
- sentenced to a term of imprisonment of 12 months or more
- sentenced to two or more terms of imprisonment (even if served concurrently) where the total is 12 months or more
- found by a court to not be fit to plead in relation to an offence but found to have committed the offence and detained in a facility or institution
You may be required to obtain one or more documents to prove your character, such as: a police certificate, Form 80, character statutory declaration, military certificate, or a letter of good conduct from an employer.
46/F, Lee Garden One, 33 Hysan Avenue, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong
SEND US A MESSAGE
Check out our latest updates
- COVID-19 concessions for offshore temporary graduate visa holders (subclass 485)On 25 November 2021, two announcements were released for COVID-19 concessions for offshore temporary graduate visa holders. The key points are highlighted below for your reference. You can also find the detail from the two announcements here and here. The following concessions will be implemented from 1 December 2021. Subclass 485 visa holders who have […]
- Australia Migration Updates – Oct/Nov 2021There have been quite a few important migration news in the past few weeks of October and November 2021. Please find the overview of these updates below, and do contact us if you have any questions. If you find this useful, please do share on your social media. New permanent residence visa streams for Hong […]
- SkillSelect Invitation Rounds – 29 October 2021Invitations Issued this month Visa Subclass Number Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) 200 Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 491) – Family Sponsored 200 Invitation Process and Cut Offs Visa Subclass Minimum Points Score Latest Date of Effect Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) 90 11/2020 Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 491) – Family Sponsored) […]